X
X

• Filtre
  • Heure
  • Afficher
Tout nettoyer
nouveaux messages

• What Google Lost by Ending Real-Time Search

J'ai trouve cet article intéressant, il donne un aperçu de la bataille d'information ou Twitter bat Google et le reste des médias. Internet sans Google, difficile a imaginer aujourd'hui, mais rien n'est impossible car hier aussi personne n'avais prédit la domination de Facebook et Twitter.

------
    I had a sense that something was wrong pretty quickly. In between checking my email and finishing up a story for the site you're reading right now, I was casually watching some tweets stream in through TweetDeck -- as I almost always am. Every 10th or 20th tweet posted by those I follow had something to do with Oslo. "Prayers are with those in Oslo," "Not sure what the situation in Oslo is but it doesn't look good" -- messages to that effect.

Curious, I turned to Google. A blast "occurred at the government headquarters which house the offices of Jens Stoltenberg," according to a story in the Telegraph that Google led me to. "It remains unclear what caused the blast or if it was a terrorism attack. The Prime Minister was reported to be safe. The cause of the blast was unknown but the tangled wreckage of a car was outside one building. The damage appeared consistent with that from car bombs."

But I had to dig a bit to find that story. When I searched "Oslo" on Google, the first four results were a Google Maps image of the Norwegian capital, the official travel guide for the city, the Oslo entry on Wikipedia and a second Wikipedia entry, this one for the Oslo Accords. Below all of those links there were three Google News entries even though, by the time I searched, hundreds of posts had been written (355 related articles, according to Google's own crawler). Those were from USA Today, BBC News and the Telegraph -- the one I selected. All of those outlets were quick to move on the story, but none of them were as fast as Twitter. And none of them will be able to update as quickly. (In fact, the Telegraph's story opens with a video showing the damage that is hosted on TwitVid, a simple service that allows users to post and share short clips through various social networks.)

It was not so long ago that I would have been able to plug "Oslo" into Google and be automatically greeted by a curated stream of tweets in real-time right there on the search results page. Google let its relationship with Twitter end during the first week of July and, over the holiday weekend, that feature quietly disappeared.

The assumption was that Google was going all-in on Google+, its new social network, and that real-time information might one day be pulled from there to fill this void. Even though Google+ has been growing rapidly -- some reports say it now has 20 million users -- and even though I follow more than 1,000 people on that network, the first thing I saw when I logged in was a giant black-and-white picture of a headless monster. Cool! So I scrolled down: Apple's global market share of tablets drops, 7 tips for small business podcasting, can Google+ help your job search?, etc. It took a while before I found anything about the explosion.

But now go to Twitter, where both Oslo and Norway are trending. Quick: Do a search for "Oslo" and look at the depth and range of information -- updates, pictures, video -- that is pouring into the system. This is what Google lost.

Christopher Mims at MIT's Technology Review also noticed how poorly Google is presenting the news out of Oslo. He's put together a page with quick tips and tricks for following the story now that Google's real-time search is dead.

cc: Nicholas Jackson, Jul 22 201, The Atlantic.

Salut BeeHive,
    Je ne pense pas que Google s'en inquiète trop sur l'indexation des nouvelles, mais plutôt des outils proposés sur les réseaux sociaux, et l'accessibilité par les portables et les API sur les sites web.
    Est ce que google a fait une erreur en annulant l'entente avec twitter qui s'agissait d'indexer le contenu de ce dernier? je ne pense pas.

Peut etre que google prépare une grosse acquisition dans les prochains mois, surtout si son proget Google+ ne démarre pas comme a été le cas de son buzz. Google plus qui englobe Circles-Hangouts-Huddle, se veut un outil qui fait tout ce que peuvent faire les réseaux sociaux.
    La guerre n'a pas encore commencé

Commentaire

Salut Enigma,

Contrairement au réseaux sociaux, Google contrôle indirectement l'information car l'indexation de l'information est centralisée, basée sur des formules complexes par toujours claires aux mains de quelque personnes, quelques actionnaires. Trop de pouvoir fini toujours par des abus. Le blocage de l’actualité belge par Google en est es témoin de ce pouvoir.

Une information contrôle et surtout un monopole n'est jamais bon signe. De la même façon qu'il a noyé ses concurrents, car contrairement a ses derniers ou il fallait payer plus pour apparaitre en top dans les résultats de recherche, un future logiciel qui permettra une organisation de l'information par les internautes indépendante et non centralisés fera noyer Google.

Enfin, par se position dominante et son monopole, Google est en entrain de devenir aussi dangereux que les gros médias pour la liberté d'expression.
      Dernière modification par BeeHive, 25 juillet 2011, 11h03.

Commentaire

Chargement...
      X