X

• Filtre
  • Heure
  • Afficher
Tout nettoyer
nouveaux messages

• Van hits Australian Christian Lobby office in Canberra

ACL's offices targeted by suspected car bomb

The head of the Australian Christian Lobby says a suspected “car bomb” attack on the organisation’s headquarters will not deter the group from speaking out, as he slammed rhetoric from “extreme left” MPs as unhelpful and provocative.

A visibly shaken Lyle Shelton, the ACL’s director, has surveyed the damage to his Canberra office after what he described as a van loaded with gas cylinders stopped outside the building and then detonated them late last night, smashing windows and burning concrete.

“This is a scene of absolute devastation. I never thought in coming to work for a public advocacy organisation like ACL that we would be subject to this sort of thing. This is not the Australia that I grew up in,” Mr Shelton said.

“I don’t know the motivation of last night’s attack but the context of what I see is in the context of multiple death threats and threats of violence that my staff have endured over the course of this year.

“We’ve had to have this building locked for most of this year, we’ve never done that in the eight or nine years that I’ve worked here.

“This is a truly shocking situation for us.”

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce tweeted that the “disgusting attack” on the ACL “must be condemned by all”.

Windows are blown out and there is oil and debris strewn over the carpark outside the Eternity House building in Deakin after it was damaged at about 10.45pm. The office was empty at the time.

A spokeswoman for ACT Police told AAP the driver was the only person injured in the collision. There have been no arrests made.

Mr Shelton said he felt no “malice” towards the driver of the van, who is receiving medical attention, and prayed for the person’s “swift recovery and for that person’s family”.

He described the incident as a “car bomb” when he tweeted two pictures overnight showing a burnt-out van at the front of the office building.

“A vehicle has rammed our office in Canberra & exploded. All Staff are safe. I do not know the condition of the driver. Prayers appreciated,” he tweeted. “Shocked that this could happen in Australia.”

A second tweet from Mr Shelton showed the van more clearly and said: “A closer view of the car bomb driven into the ACL office in Canberra tonight. Shocked that this could happen in Australia.”

Debris from the vehicle have been left behind, including a Toyota badge. The front windows of the two-storey building are smashed on both levels with mangled window blinds and light fittings hanging from the ceiling.

The office is located in a quiet street, less than a 10 minute drive from Parliament House.

ACT Police are expected to update the media today.

As he vowed to reopen the office as soon as possible, Mr Shelton said he did not know the motivation for last night’s attack nor the suspect but declared there had not been enough civil debate on topics such as gay marriage and the controversial Safe Schools program.

“I’m very concerned when members of parliament, particularly in the extreme left, refer to us in the parliament as hate groups, as bigots ... there are people who are a bit unhinged out there, that sort of rhetoric doesn’t help,” he said.

“As a society we’ve got to have civil debate and we’ve got to stop the name calling and the slurs and mount an argument which there should be zero tolerance of violence and threats of violence in our country.”

While Mr Shelton will receive a full briefing from police today, he said he had no intention of stopping his advocacy.

“I don’t want to assume my staff will want to continue. They are very dedicated, loyal people who have endured much this year in terms of threats, particularly our receptionist and front office staff here at Campion St. ...they will have to make up their own mind,” Mr Shelton said.

“I’m keen to continue on and I think it’s now more important than ever we have our voice involved in the public discourse in this country.”

This was the first physical threat towards the ACL, Mr Shelton said, though a person entered the building under “suspicious circumstances” a couple of months ago.

Mr Shelton earlier told ABC Radio it was a “deliberate” attack on free speech. “Obviously someone didn’t like that which we stand for.”

Liberal senator Eric Abetz released a statement to say he was “saddened and shocked to learn that a van containing gas cylinders was reportedly detonated at the Australian Christian Lobby offices”.

“My thoughts and prayers are with the many staff, volunteers and supporters of the ACL and I am pleased that no one was inside the building at the time.

“With an active supporter base of over 80,000 Australians, there is no doubt that the Australian Christian Lobby is an organisation which enjoys the support of many of our fellow Australians.

“Whatever the motivation behind this attack, I am sure all Australians of goodwill, especially at Christmas, will be expressing their support to the staff and supporters of the Australian Christian Lobby.”

THE AUSTRALIAN
    The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.” Winston Churchill

Un complot terroriste déjoué en Australie
    Un groupe aurait prévu de commettre plusieurs attentats, « inspirés par l’Etat islamique » le jour de Noël à Melbourne. La police a arrêté sept personnes.

LES FAITS NE SONT PAS LIES

MAIS DES BOUTEILLES DE GAZ ONT DU FAIRE BOUGER LES SEFRVICES
    The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.” Winston Churchill

Commentaire

Chargement...
    X