• Filtre
  • Heure
  • Afficher
Tout nettoyer
nouveaux messages

• Harvard prof rides 17,000% return in a single stock to become a billionaire

Published: April 25, 2020
    By Shawn Langlois

Moderna MRNA, +6.45% went public in late 2018, bursting onto the Wall Street scene as the biggest biotech IPO in history. Timothy Springer, a Harvard medical-school professor, saw his stake in the company fatten his bottom line by a whopping $320 million by the end of the trading day.

After that, he really got rich.

Less than two years later, and the 72-year-old has ridden a 17,000% return in his Moderna shares — which he paid about $5 million for in the company’s early stages — into the billionaire club, according to the latest figures from the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

The Cambridge, Mass., biotech has jumped 162% this year, as of Wednesday’s close, surging on hopes for its mRNA-1273 coronavirus vaccine, one of the first to begin human trials.

The government recently agreed to give Moderna $483 million to develop the vaccine. “The grant ... is going to be a big accelerator to the development of mRNA-1273,” Moderna CEO Stéphane Bancel said in an investor call last Friday.

Springer made his first killing during the bubble of 1999, Bloomberg reported, when he pocketed $100 million by selling his first venture to Millennium Pharmaceuticals. He took $5 million of that and plugged it into pre-IPO Moderna. The rest is history.

Will all that money change him? Not if his comments from 2018 are any indication.

“I have an academic lifestyle. I’m not into ramen noodles, but my friends are academics, so it doesn’t really behoove me to be flashy,” Springer told Bloomberg at the time. “I feel that I’ve had more than enough wealth for myself for some time. I don’t feel I need more.”

Read on:Harvard reverses course, rejects nearly $9 million in stimulus money after backlash from Trump, critics

Read full story
    Read Next
    Barron's: Used-Car Prices Cratered. Here’s What That Means for the Auto Universe.
    As if things weren’t bad enough for the auto industry, now used-car prices have gone off the road. That creates more pressure in several areas of the automotive value chain.

More On MarketWatch
    Chris Cuomo satirizes Trump’s disinfectant-injection suggestion: ‘Take two shots of Windex, swallow this lightbulb, and call me in the morning’
    Barron's: Stocks Could Gain 15% in the Next Year, Experts Say
    When Google CEO Sundar Pichai took over Alphabet, his compensation jumped to more than a quarter-billion dollars
    The pandemic has shifted focus to remdesivir, but HIV drugs will return to center stage for Gilead
    About the Author

Shawn Langlois
    Shawn Langlois is an editor and writer for MarketWatch in Los Angeles
    The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.” Winston Churchill
Chargement...
X