Réduire
X

• Filtre
  • Heure
  • Afficher
Tout nettoyer
nouveaux messages

• Ben E. King - Save the last dance for me

"Save the Last Dance for Me" is a song by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, that was first recorded in 1960 by Ben E. King and The Drifters, who took it to #1 on the U.S. pop charts. In the UK, the Drifters' version reached #2 in December 1960. Around this time, an answer record by Damita Jo entitled "I'll Save the Last Dance for You" gained popularity.

In the song, the narrator tells his lover she is free to mingle and socialize throughout the evening, but to make sure to save him one dance at the end of the night. The song is likely based on the personal experience of Doc Pomus, who had polio and used crutches to get around and could not dance. His wife, however, was a Broadway actress and dancer. The song gives his perspective of plaintively telling his wife to have fun dancing, but reminds her who will be taking her home and "in whose arms you're gonna be."

The song was subsequently recorded by Ike and Tina Turner on the Phil Spector-produced "River Deep, Mountain High", with the point of view changed to be from the viewpoint of the female. In 1978 a singer/songwriter from Southern California, Ron Shaw, recorded the song on Pacific Challenger Records. It made it to the Top 40 Country Hits in Billboard Magazine. Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton also each recorded versions of the song (Harris in 1979 after learning that Shaw's version had been successful, and Parton in 1984); both singers' recordings reached the top ten on the U.S. country singles charts. The Beatles had recorded the song for their album Let It Be, but it was later decided to not to include the song on the album by the time of its 1970 release; however, Harry Nilsson released his version of the song on the album Pussy Cats (1974) which was produced by John Lennon. In 2006, Michael Bublé has brought his version to #99 on the U.S. charts.

Michael Bublé sings it as the last song in the film The Wedding Date.
    Bruce Willis has also performed a cover of the song.

This song was played in the first season finale of Queer as Folk, in which Brian Kinney dances with Justin Taylor at his senior prom. It was also covered by John Clarke, in character as Fred Dagg.

The song ranked #182 on Rolling Stone's The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, making it the second-highest charting Drifters song on the list, behind "Up on the Roof." [wikipedia]

Ici Interpretee par Dolly Parton

"Save The Last Dance For Me"

You can dance-every dance with the guy
    Who gives you the eye,let him hold you tight
    You can smile-every smile for the man
    Who held your hand neath the pale moon light
    But don't forget who's takin' you home
    And in whose arms you're gonna be
    So darlin' save the last dance for me

Oh I know that the music's fine
    Like sparklin' wine,go and have your fun
    Laugh and sing,but while we're apart