• Filtre
  • Heure
  • Afficher
Tout nettoyer
nouveaux messages

• Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong

Humble Beginnings

Armstrong was born in New Orleans in 1901. His parents were the children of slaves. The family had very little money and were forced to live in a ghetto. To make matters worse, his father left the family and Louis only rarely saw him. He was raised primarily by his mother and her relatives.
    Armstrong would do whatever he could to help support his family, even if it meant singing on the street corner for change. By the age of 7, he had saved enough money to buy his first horn. Armstrong's life took a turn for the worse when he was arrested and sent to a juvenile detention center at the age of 11 for firing a pistol during a New Year's celebration. Luckily, the detention center had formal music lessons and Louis was able to play with the band.

A Star Rises
    As a teen, Armstrong was mentored by musician Joe "King" Oliver. Armstrong would sit in with bands when he could. Soon his reputation in the jazz world grew. Armstrong eventually took over King Oliver's band and then went on to form his own Hot Five band. During the 1920s and 1930s Louis Armstrong was bona fide star. During this time period, he got his famed nickname from a music editor. Louis Armstrong, "Satchmo," stuck. Satchmo is a shortening for satchel mouth, which was used to describe his gravelly voice.
    Armstrong's music was important for many reasons. First he shifted the focus from band performance to solo work, changing the tastes and expectations of music fans. His virtuoso trumpet playing was matched by his ability to scat sing and his unforgettable voice. His image was important as well. At a time when racial tension were high in the United States, he was one of the first black entertainers that had strong appeal amoing white audiences.
    Armstrong died of a heart attack when he was 69 years old. His funeral was attended by many jazz greats, such as Duke Ellington and Dizzy Gillespie, as well as the Governor of New York and Johnny Carson. His music went on to influence not only future jazz players, but musicians of all genres. He was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.

By: Shawn Donovan

I see trees of green, red roses too
    I see them bloom for me and you
    And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
    The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night

The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
    Are also on the faces of people going by
    I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?"
    They're really saying "I love you"

I hear babies cryin', I watch them grow
    They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
    Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Oh yeah
    Everything of profound value is evident and simple

This is great ! Cela fait longtemps que je n'ai l'avais pas écouté !

Commentaire

Many thanks

Merci Dz.. for this great song!! Indeed ..what a wonderful for all of us to have this amazing oportunity to enjoy him today one more time like he was still alive!!!!!

Suz
      " Le bonheur n' est pas une recompense mais une consequence, La souffrance n' est pas une punition mais un resultat...."
      NULLA DI NUOVO SOTTO IL SOLE.."

Commentaire

bienvenue a toi Amicale ..Longueeeeeeee VIE sur FA et vive l'amitie!

Suz
        " Le bonheur n' est pas une recompense mais une consequence, La souffrance n' est pas une punition mais un resultat...."
        NULLA DI NUOVO SOTTO IL SOLE.."

Commentaire

Chargement...
        X